A wonderful Vintage Collection of Popeye the Sailor items! Would be darling in a retro Media room, a great gift for the hard to buy for baby boomer, television memorabilia collector! Lots of Nostalgia here, the lot includes:
1. Two stuffed Popeye dolls. one measures 13" tall, the second is 9" tall. both made by "play by Play toys & Novelties, San Antonio, Texas (pre zip code-pre 1963) Each cute little toy is completely detailed. Large Popeye has hat, painted on pipe and tattoo some light yellow faint spots on top of hat, i have not tried to remove. Small has same detail, but pipe is felt and applied to his face.
2. Three inch hollow plastic Popeye toy, on back it states "Superior Toy, 1983 King Features Syndicate. Made in USA. Left arm holding pipe and is fixed, but right arm moves up and down with a cup in hand.
3. Metal dart board. appears to be the kind from the early 60s that used the plastic magnetic darts? not sure, but darts are not included. Has Popeye in the Center with the target ring, Wimpy, Olive Oyl, Sweet Pea, and Brutus are in the corner worth 10 points each. (c) King Features Syndicate, there is light corrosion all four sides, heavier on left front bottom. Back has a card board fold out stand, still intact. Not the best condition but unique and would still be cute displayed.
4. Two packs of Popeye Trading cards, mint in box, unopened. each box has 36 packs of cards, each pack has 6 cards. (c)1994 King Features Syndicate. Both boxes are marked "Sixty Fifth Anniversary" and include randomly inserted Character Foil, Evolution Chrome and Popeye Power Cells card Sets. One Box has a round two inch tear in the plastic seal on top, but is still secure, mint, unopened.
5. Popeye Books: 1. "Thimble Theatre, Starring Popeye Volume Two by Bud Sagendorf" (c) 1969, 1975, 1980 by King Features. ISBN:0-448-17151-1. Some yellowing from age, but no spine bends or appearance it has ever even been opened or read.
2. "Popeye Goes Fishing " by Charles Spain Verral. Copyright 1981 King Features, ISBN:0-8431-4130-1. Wonder Books, 1987 stamped on bottom of first page. Good Condition, no writing, page bends or any apparent problems. glue residue on cover from price tag. K mart printed tag on cover with price blacked out.
3. " Popeye's Big Surprise" by Barbara Waring, illustrated by Bud Sagendorf. Wonder Books, 1987. ISBN-0-8434-4128X. some aging, small area of glue residue from price tag, K mart printed price tag on cover with price blacked out. no writing or problems notable inside book.
4. Peter Pan Book & Record - Popeye the Sailor Man "Oyle on Troubled Waters" 45rpm. Rust on staples holding book together, water? damage along front cover, book itself appears ok, but record Cracked and not "playable". Sad Condition, no value, just including in case someone can frame or do something with it.
6. Popeye LP Record. Original Radio Broadcasts 1975 King Features. Popeye. a George Garabedian Production. Thimble Theatre Starring Popeye. A brief history on back of the album indicates "Popeye was the first super strong hero in the comic strips, predating Superman, Alley Op, Captain Marvel and all the others.. The original Thimble Theatre was begun by Elzie Crisler Segar in 1919." Record jacket in good condition with light soiling, very light corner wear, Back of cover at bottom has some light soiling, I have not attempted to clean, will leave that to one who knows what they are doing.. Record has a few light scratches.