The Grave of Josh Billings
Undivided Back Vintage Postcard in Very Good, Unused Condition although small amount of album residue still on backside. This post card was copyrighted in 1905 by the Rotograph Company of New York City.
Josh Billings was perhaps the second most famous humor writer and lecturer in the United States in the second half of the 19th century.
Some well known sayings include:
* A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
* About the most originality that any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgment.
* As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.
* Don't take the bull by the horns, take him by the tail; then you can let go when you want to.
* Flattery is like cologne water, to be smelt of, not swallowed.
* It is much easier to repent of sins that we have committed than to repent of those we intend to commit.
* It's not ignorance does so much damage; it's knowin' so derned much that ain't so.
* Laughing is the sensation of feeling good all over and showing it principally in one spot.
* One of the greatest victories you can gain over someone is to beat him at politeness.
* Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.
* The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way.
* The time to pray is not when we are in a tight spot but just as soon as we get out of it.
* There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
* Man is my brother, and I am nearer related to him through his vices than I am through his virtue.
* Friendship is liken earthenware, once broken it can be mended. Love is like a mirror, once broken that ends it.
* Occasions are rare; and those who know how to seize upon them are rarer.
* It strains a man's philosophy the worst kind to laugh when he gets beat.
* Don't have any more secrets than you can keep yourself.
* That, men of genius are like eagles, they live on what they kill, while men of talents are like crows, they live on what has been killed for them.
* Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well.
* One legged chickens, I know, are the least apt to scratch a garden.
About Our Postcards
all items we sell come from a non-smoking home and are stored with loving care until they can be sent to their new owners. Individual cards are mailed in a protective archival rigid post card sleeve; multiple cards are mailed in a protective post card album with archival pages.
We accept returns if notified within 14 days of receipt of the item. The item must be returned in the same condition as when shipped.